Click To Check
Have you ever been asked whether you have gotten a good night’s sleep despite completing an 8-hour sleep cycle? A big chunk of patients that come to seek medical aesthetics treatments have gotten tired of being mistaken as “haggard” or “tired,” when in reality they are feeling very well.
What makes people comment about their appearance this way? Most will look at their reflection in the mirror and, maybe, confuse themselves whether they are actually seeing their own reflection or that of a panda. Dark circles and eye bags are the usual suspects in this case.
If you are searching for treatments to get rid of your eye bags, you have come to the right place. In this article, we present to you the facts you need to know about those annoying eye bags and dark circles, plus the different treatments to improve your eyes’ condition that are available in Singapore.
Fast Facts About Eye Bags and Dark Circles
Eye bags can be classified into two types: real eye bags and “fake” eye bags. To identify which of these you have, let us look closely at the description of each.
- TEAR TROUGH EYE BAGS. Also known as the fake type, this one makes the orbital septum, or the under eye area, appear sunken. Aside from the loss of volume of the skin below the peepers, deep lines are also visible. This can be treated with the use of dermal fillers.
- REAL EYE BAGS. Misplaced fats that usually end up in the area under the eyes cause real eye bags. The eyes look puffy, as the skin below them looks like stuffed pillows. To remove this type of eye bags, patients can choose between two treatments: fillers or eye bags surgery.
- Fillers, which are a non-surgical eye bag removal procedure, can be used to fight eye bags, although patients should expect only an approximate of 30% to 50% improvement. The administration of fillers should be handled by an experienced doctor to achieve optimum results. It should be pointed out that this manipulation works best for mild to moderate eye bags. Note that it is not able to remove excess skin, which sometimes is a necessary step. Of course, every case is different, so you should explore all options before you take the plunge.
- Eye bag removal surgery is a much effective treatment to address the issue. It is known as lower blepharoplasty and it does not affect the upper eyelid in any way. This invasive treatment involves removing excess fat that is stored in the pockets of the skin just below the eyes through incision. The good news is that it should not leave any visible scars. Other surgical options involve filling in the depressed segments by means of fat grafting. The biggest advantage of plastic surgery is that once you undertake it, your eye bags will never reappear. The outcome is tightened and firmed skin.
Types of Treatments Available to Treat Dark Circles
Dark circles can be divided into two kinds. Below is a table that shows the kinds of a dark circle as well as the treatments available at aesthetic clinics to best address these conditions.
|KIND OF DARK CIRCLES||TREATMENTS AVAILABLE|
|Tear Trough Eye Bags|
|Pigmented Dark Circles|
Do note that tear trough eye bags are very tricky to treat. It is highly recommended the doctors handling the treatment have the right skills and years of experience in managing the procedure.
Note: Many people resort to eye creams to improve the appearance of the area under the peepers, however, they are barely effective if the problem is persistent.
How Does the Vitamin C-imbued Monofilament Threads Address Dark Circles?
Vitamin C-imbued monofilament threads work by lessening the dark pigmentation around the eyes. The threads, inserted under the skin, promote collagen stimulation. In addition, the threads pull the tissue under the area of the skin that is being treated hence improving the appearance of the under the eye. This treatment is one of the most popular choices to treat dark under eye circles in Singapore.
Expected Results With the Use of Fillers on Eye Bags
The table below shows what patients can expect when fillers are used to treat dark circles:
|KIND OF DARK CIRCLES||EXPECTED RESULTS|
|Tear Trough Dark Circles||Effects of dermal fillers on tear trough dark circles are noticed instantly once the substance is administered in the right way by a skilled medical professional.|
|Pigmented Dark Circles||Effects of dermal fillers on pigmented dark circles are seen immediately after a treatment. Patients are usually surprised with the instant results that improve the appearance of the under eye region by reducing the dark pigmentation and puffiness of the skin, successfully taking away the tired and haggard look from the face.|
Risks or Side Effects Caused by Filler Treatments on Dark Circles
Of the two conditions, treating the tear trough dark circle is much more complex. The treated area is prone to swelling after the manipulation, so the liquid is not injected fully into the area. The inflammation of the skin is a normal reaction and is brought about by the water retained by the filler, which is made up of hyaluronic acid. When done seamlessly by a skilled doctor, patients can expect to see about 70% to 80% improvement in their dark circles. This side effects can be expected to subside in 2 to 3 days following the procedure.
Patients may also experience bruising on the treated areas. It can be concealed with makeup. This side effect is commonly developed when the treatment is conducted by doctors who do not have proper training and enough experience in performing the procedure. The whole healing process may last up to a week.
Two of the most common side effects are called the Tyndall’s Effect and Sausage Bump.
|NAME OF SIDE EFFECT||DESCRIPTION|
|Tyndall’s Effect||When placement of the fillers is shallow, the skin appears to be tinted with a faint bluish color. This indicates that the kind of fillers injected to the targeted area is not the appropriate product for the condition.|
|Sausage Bump||When the injected liquid supersedes the right amount needed, a bump that is similar to the shape of a sausage forms in the under eye area, making the current condition worse.|
Is There a Way to Reverse a Botched Dark Circle Treatment?
Hyaluronidase is a solution that is used to reverse the effect of a failed dark circle treatment with dermal fillers. It is injected into the affected area and dissolves the fillers that were initially inserted. The reversal does not happen overnight. Patients who undergo this procedure should expect to swell in the treated regions as a result of the reaction between the chemicals. About a week is allowed to pass before a much-experienced doctor can administer the correct dosage and treatment of dermal fillers to address dark under eyes.
Results Duration From Successful Treatments
Generally, results from a successful procedure can be fully enjoyed by patients from six to nine months. However, this may differ per patient. At the same time, some external factors and the person's lifestyle can contribute to the longevity of the treatment’s results. For example, people who practice a healthier lifestyle by sleeping earlier, avoiding smoking, and skipping saunas can expect their fillers to last longer.
Cost of Getting a Treatment of Tear Trough Fillers
The cost of tear trough fillers varies depending on the type of treatment that a patient chooses to undertake. Also, there are certain factors that can contribute to the price of the procedures, like the brand of the filler product.
Here is a glimpse of how much a patient will need to prepare for a dark circle treatment.
- Vitamin C-infused monofilament threads – The price ranges from $800 to $1,000 for one session.
- Tear trough fillers – This type of treatment costs $600 to $1,000 per session.